Purpose: This class is designed to build confidence on one of the most often neglected tools found on nearly every fire apparatus, the 2 1/2 gallon water extinguisher. The “Can” can be an extremely effective lifesaving tool by allowing a well-trained fireman to quickly apply water between fire and victims. Attendees will learn proper filling and pressurization steps, how to build homemade carrying straps and other useful “Can” modifications. The class will also cover valuable skills on carrying and searching with the “Can,” and confining fire with it as well. Students will cycle through a “force an interior door off its hinges” prop and use this door to hold back live fire and smoke. Finally, attendees will perform live fire attacks with nothing more than a “Can” and witness the effect of the “Can” on pre-flashover conditions.
The target audience for this class is firefighters and fire officers at any level with a desire to increase their confidence and learn how to properly utilize the water can.
• Instructor introductions and class introduction video.
• Discuss the many tactics of a search team with a water can.
• Discuss confining fire with the water can and an interior door.
• Discuss and build various types of water can modifications and carrying straps.
• Participate in proper filling and pressurization sets.
• Rotate through a for a door of its hinges prop.
• Students will learn advanced and aggressive search techniques.
• Preform primary searches with a water can and other tools.
• Discuss and witness the importance of placing water between the fire and victims.
• Perform live fire attacks (scenarios) with the water can while discussing and witnessing fire behavior.